Friday 11 September 2015

End of the first week!

I don't know about you, but I'm thrilled to have the kids back at school. We are lucky to have a straight Grade 5 class, which is the first time I've not had a split class in many years, and that is great!

This first week back is often a stressful time, with new classes, new teachers, and new routines to contend with. Bed times are important and now's the time to establish those routines. Even so, I often find this first week exhausting, as we make the transition out of summer to the busyness of autumn.



I try and keep to an early bedtime, and the same bedtime, to help adjust to new schedules. If your child is, perforce, an early riser due to crack-of-dawn hockey practice, let me know in an email if you think you might be a bit late, just so alarm bells don't go off unnecessarily. 

I'd like to welcome my teaching partner, Mrs. Lauren Startup to the class, and to this blog. As you've probably heard, I am taking my Master's at UBC on Thursdays, and it's great to have Mrs. Startup back teaching at Brooksbank. She'll be adding homework to this same blog on Thursdays.

I usually don't give homework on weekends, as I see that as family time. Inevitably, things get busy and homework –even on weekends– may become necessary, but it is not my usual intention.

I'd ask that you look for your child's agenda each night, and add your initials to it so I see that you have seen their homework duties.

For today, for example, you should see "No Homework", and it is initialed by me, so you know it's true!

Have a good weekend!